Refounder Speeches

The holy of all hollies, for discussion about the many members of the Council.
Killer Zoids
Species: homovulpes vulpes

Refounder Speeches

Post by Killer Zoids » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:55 pm

This thread is for the current June/2013 refounding efforts for the FurFed region. Each nominee below may make their voice heard and a vote will eventually occur to choose a designee to refound the region.
=======Nominees=======
Kangaroo R.
Killer Zoids
NDF
Coyotia
Llewellynlland
Tinis

Killer Zoids

Re: Refounder Speeches

Post by Killer Zoids » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 pm

My first and foremost ambition for being the founder of the region is the security of the region. Without a founder, our region may become sieged as it was not long ago. I believe this is the only real duty of the founder. Being a permanent position, the founder should NOT dabble in inter-regional politics because decisions made by the founder will stick--forever. The founder should be a mostly neutral party, working in the best interests of the region, and keeping an eye on the goings on of the WA delegate. If the region is invaded, the founder should fight back, working to reinstate the appropriate WA delegate.

We need someone with a glorious long history in the NS game (someone from antiquity), someone reliable, and easy to get in touch with when needed. I believe Killer Zoids is that nation. With history ranging back 11 years, and being generally well known in the region, I think I am a good fit for the founder position. I also host the official forums, and I am active on instant messaging almost every day.

Please consider Killer Zoids as your first choice for the founder position of the region.

KangarooRepublic
Species: Kangaroo

Post by KangarooRepublic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 pm

When I am elected founder of a shiny new FurFed, I'll make sure that there are adequate facilities to contact me in case I stay away. For emergencies, I can leave the password known to myself and one or two trusted people in the region, to ensure that there's always at least one person who can keep the founder alive. And also to kick any would-be raiders in case of absence due to exams, vacations, zombie apocalypses, etc. For this purpose, I shall create a new nation, specifically meant to function as the founder, because, ya know, giving the password of the Kangaroo Republic is a bad idea, even to Tinis. Right? ...Right.

I have a couple ways I can be contacted in case of a regional crisis. My e-mail address I do check often at kevinwieling@live.nl, and I'll gladly add some well-established members on my skype on EGKangaroo. All these measures shall allow for the founder nation to remain solid in the long term, and be passed on if needed.

The authority should and shall obviously befall on the shoulders of a popularly elected WA delegate. I don't want to really have a function other than being a figurehead and a stabilising force for the region. I don't want to push for any overhaul of the region. It is not the time nor the place for that. I feel with the sentiments of some other older members, who do not want radical changes, but just want their community back the way it was, before the raider problem struck: a friendly, open, and active community. I'll try my best to provide just that, so that we can all go back to doing the things we love in a comfortable atmosphere.

Killer Zoids

Post by Killer Zoids » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:05 am

Primary elections resulted in Tinis and Kangaroo Republic being our nominees.

We created some questions for them both to answer:

=======================================================
All questions to be answered by both parties:
1) If you are elected founder, would you ask your opponent to be a key part in administrating the region, and if so, what role would you ask them to take on?

2) Please tell us what part you played in the last invasion and explain how you are going to prevent another one?

3) (Not intended to ruffle any feathers) What about your opponent makes you think you are the better candidate?

4) Do you have plans for recruiting and reviving the role playing part of Furry Fed? (IE, In-character role play on the forums)

And here are their respective answers:

TINIS
Greetings! Here are the answers to the debate questions from me, the Union of Tinis.

1) If you are elected founder, would you ask your opponent to be a key part in administrating the region, and if so, what role would you ask them to take on?

If elected founder, I would hope that Kangaroo Republic would run for delegate and they would gain my full support and endorsement. Though I've not known them as long as some folks in the region, I can honestly say they've shown themselves dedicated to the region and its members, and as such, would be a perfect World Assembly delegate.

What more, I would ask my opponent to join me in efforts to rework our much beleaguered offsite forum with the end goal of having a RP environment that works with everyone, is fair and fun, and that isn't prone to inciting burnout for they or myself nor drama for everyone else.

2) Please tell us what part you played in the last invasion and explain how you are going to prevent another one?

Invasions in NationStates are the acts of a group of individuals coming together to seize control of a region from its native population. A region, like the Furry Federation of the present, without a founder is most susceptible to such attacks. In our recent invasion, I was away from the internet for a period of about 12 hours. Before I had to be away I checked in with the region and saw nothing amiss. If I had spotted something out of the usual, I very likely would of acted to either seal the region or eject any obvious invasion forces. But I saw no activity to warrant action. And thus I was surprised when I got back online to find our region usurped.

In the days and weeks that followed, as former delegate and member of the region with the most influence, it was my duty to stick around, bug the invaders, and work to get assistance. Though the defender organizations that have helped us before were slow to mobilized due to events in other regions, they did eventually come to our aid. They, with the help of some others, and our own members sticking with us, we were able to recapture the delegate spot. When my nation was again delegate I acted swiftly to eject all known invaders and their allies and to password protect the region. The invaders were removed and the invasion was over. Since then I've rotated the regional password several times, and this rotation has left me with dwindling influence as is, but the password rotations have allowed many of our friends to return to the region and to participate in this process.

If elected founder, defending the region is simple. A founder can not be ejected, a founder can not be replaced, and a founder reserves the power to eject even if the delegateship is stolen by an invader. If our new home is invaded, it will be a simple act to kick any invaders. What more, invaders know this, which is why refunding is so important to us. It will mean that not only will we have a means to counter harassment like that, but it will dissuade them from bothering us in the first place. And to that end, I will commit to the end of either my life or the end of NationStates, to persist as founder of our new region to keep it safe.

3) (Not intended to ruffle any feathers) What about your opponent makes you think you are the better candidate?

Though Kangaroo Republic is far from a newbie to NationStates, I do have more experience both in terms of the game mechanics but also interacting with other regions. I have a lot of respect for my opponent so I'll avoid making up slanderous things and the like and leave it as that.

4) Do you have plans for recruiting and reviving the role playing part of Furry Fed? (IE, In-character role play on the forums)

Heck yeah! My most difficult times with the offsite forums came when there began to be too much for me to watch over at any given time. For those of you not in the know, I've been the de facto primary moderator of the RPs there with some help from Miokalia (who's presently trapped outside the region and busy with school) and Killer Zoids (who's more focused on the tech side).

So the first thing that's needed is reestablishing a core group of moderators and a general plan amongst us on how to handle the various duties. And what more, given there's been a long lull in activity, it may be wise to collectively do some world building. A lot of things in the Furfed universe have been left ambiguous and that has allowed for a great deal of abuse for better or worse. We should work to simplify and clarify a few fundamental aspects of the cosmos there. I would love it if Kangaroo Republic was part of this core group.

Second, as Killer Zoids is hosting our forums as is, I'm hopeful they will continue to do so and to continue to help with the tech side of things. That said, we are plagued by spambots which makes helping new members in tricky as when registration is open, there's always way more bot apps then legit, making curious players have to wait until we can get around to confirm and approve them. So there may need to be some change, update, or reworking of the forum software.

Third, being a relatively large furry region helps with recruitment. But we can do more than just the base level of improvement when it comes to getting new members. We should have at least one, preferably two folks who are willing, eager, and active in going to other communities, both on NationStates and beyond, to attract good RP talent. These folks should of course be very familiar with the rules of the forums and be able to explain them and any curiosities new potential members may have.

Fourth, we need to make some rules crystal clear to all players. Don't power game. Don't kill off other people's characters without their permissions. No doomsday weapons. No super anti-doomsday weapons (yes, for me that means no Pattern Defense System). No harassment. Keep the genre of the subforum consistent. Be consistent.

Finally, I would like to get back to RPing myself. The last couple years have left me kind of shy when it comes to such as it was impossible for me to keep up with some folks and I didn't have much time to spend writing when I was expected to read posts for moderation duties. To that end, I'll need the community, and not just any and all moderators, to be active in policing itself. Aka, if you see something not right, bring it up via alerting a mod in a note, telegram, or other similar direct (and permanent) means. That will make the rest of our lives less stressful, and the role of moderator, admin, or tech guy won't be one of dread due to the need of constant vigilance to make sure shenanigans don't go down. We want to play too!

---

Thank you all for your time and consideration. I hope that you will support me, the Union of Tinis, in the election for the new founder of the Furry Federation.
KANGAROO REPUBLIC

Tinis is a long-term member of the Furry Federation. I have no doubt that he has played a very important role in the region's upkeep, so it would be moot to say he can't be entrusted with a key role in the regional administration. Of course, the position for WA delegate may come to mind, if the rest democratically picks him, but also, he's definitely on my list of trustworthy people with whom I can share the password of the founder nation, and, if anything, he and I can keep in contact by e-mail or skype if necessary. All in all, Tinis is already a too important member to be left out of the network of the Furry Federation.

During the invasion, I kept in contact with some of the furfed refugees who were kicked out of the region, or went elsewhere for temporary residence. Given that I am a member of the United Defenders League, I had contact with them via IRC, and helped to instruct the coalition of furfed troops on how liberations work so they too could help in liberating their own region. I put effort into combining the forces of both the UDL, and the irregular troops native to the region to restore Tinis's delegate position. If raiders happen to be stupid to attack a region with an active founder, they should face quick justice by the blows of the big banhammer of rightfulness. Should something strange happen that a liberation is required after all, then my position as a member of the United Defenders League will mean I can easily contact them, and instruct the natives on what to do in defence as well. We can prove that in the case of invasion, we natives can still make a stand and strike back, and are not helpless to the predatorial efforts of raiders like the Black Hawks.

What sets me apart and better than the other candidate is that I have connections. If it becomes necessary, I can be in contact with the UDL and a liberation can be arranged without having to wait for weeks to achieve it. Second, the position of founder is a largely political one. As such, I keep calm and can make rational decisions. Being reactionary in the face of a potential threat and locking down the region is not what a leader does. I would be rational, consult with veteran members and the community at large, and make decisions based on that. Third, the banjection of Anea is still a hot topic. Never before, in my knowledge, had this happened for merely speaking their mind. That is not a mark of a leader.

For numerous months, we in the Furfed have been pondering a restart of the roleplay map to prune the inactive nations and start a fresh new timeline for members to join and put their nations in. With the refounding of the region, now is the best time to do that, and revitalise the roleplaying section. With me as founder, I would like to have charge over the forum itself in order to establish a proper hierarchy of moderators.