The Map

A place to put national profiles, factbooks, and other information regarded your nation.

Moderator: Tinis

Tinis
Board Admin
Board Admin
Species: Pargalonian Dragon

The Map

Post by Tinis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Behold and perish! The new map of the world of the Furry Federation!

Wiki link http://furfed.wikidot.com/map

Direct link (easier to see in most browsers) http://furfed.wdfiles.com/local--files/map/ffmap5.gif

If you would like to get on the map, please post to this thread. There are at the moment several guidelines your map request must meet:

1. No Numenors/Mordors - Aka, avoid having nations that are super isolated, either by water (Numenor) or impassible mountains (Mordor).
2. You may edit the general terrain of your country provided it fits with the climate and the general flow of the map.
3. You may have your country fill in any unclaimed territory.
4. The general assumption is that your country has always been there (at least as of the last few decades) and that you are not just moving in presently.
5. For the time being, stick to the western most continent until it is filled in.
6. If you edit your countries terrain yourself, please upload your files in gif format and use as close to the original color scheme of the main map as possible.
7. You are free to create your own country specific map (aka, zoomed in, more detail, what ever color scheme you like). I will try to link them in this post.
8. Avoid the impossible (no towers to the moon, holes to the center of the planet, rivers that run up and over 5 tall mountain ranges before emptying into a lake, ect).
9. Try to keep your country size at about the biggest size of those already present or smaller. If you're very large you may have to justify why your country is so big (90% of it is desert or useless swamps, your country is heavily populated and polluted mess, uneasy confederation of smaller countries are all good reasons).
10. You may edit your coast line within reason. So if its either too smooth or too wiggly, you can change that up. Just avoid throwing in huge new parts of continents.
"We stand for justice, democracy, and a brighter future. Make sure you are unjust, fascist, and nihilistic before deciding you hate us." - Former First Speaker Izixs

The_ASE
Species: Arctic Wolf

Re: The Map

Post by The_ASE » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Oh wow. I really like this. You overdid yourself on this one. I'll draw up a claim in a moment, though I do have just one issue. In seeing what results in saving as a .gif, I noticed that it got a bunch of dots on it. In uploading like that it would render it impossible to easily incorporate into the map itself. And it's a larger file size than, say, a .png. Not sure why you use a .gif filetype for it (which I have always wondered honestly), but might I recommend using .png for ease of use? Not a big deal, just a thought. I'll save my claim in .png though just for ease of incorporation, using the same scheme as the map itself. Just pointing out the quality issue when I saved as .gif.

Edit: And I am going to take a shot in the dark at the fonts; would be nice to know for uniformity across nations. Also noticed your mention of being about a week before updating on the RMB. I'll reiterate my offer of taking it up for you and helping to manage it.

Edit 2: Right, here's the claim now. And I'll just answer one question I think might come up. Senzovona (particularly due to its location) has always been a major trade hub for Remnora. As such, it's probably one of the largest cities in the world on its own, boasting a population of over 40 million in the metropolitan area and 20 million in the city proper. So yeah, huge city when combined with its suburbs and such.

And yes, I claim proper naming rights over the strait for this reason. :P

Edit 3: So some experimenting with the full map image. Wanted to see what happened if I took it and saved as .gif. I don't know what you're doing, but when I do it I get a dotted texture on top of it and it quadruples the file size of the map.

Also, in mentioning the the helping in managing, I saved it as a .png (because it was the only way to preserve the image without some sort of oddity happening such as the artifacts in .jpg and the dots in .gif) and stuck Remnora on there to get a look of the map on the grand scale with it in place (part because plotting out the old Remnoran colonial empire, and part to just to get a sense of scale).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/260 ... %20Map.png <- The link in question.

Anyway, I always keep a map version up to date on hand so I don't have to go dredging through the links. So I'm not trying to take it over, just keeping a version on hand for my own use.

Edit 4: Really need to add a strikeout bbcode (which I have on hand if you want to use it and plug it in via the ACP) so I can mark things out without outright deleting them. :P

Edit 5: I am tired, and I feel like adding in a bit more about Senzovona now to explain a bit more about it to preemptively answer questions. Spoilered for size. Copy/pasted from my forum where I used this and edited for the new map.
Located at one end of the Tiger Strait is the vast megalopolis of Senzovona. Housing over 40 million its metropolitan area and 20 million in its urban area, it's the largest city in Remnora and among the largest in the world. Built predominately around the mouth of the strait, which most of Remnora has claimed, the city is mostly on flat land. Dug out decades ago and expanded since, the artificial harbors houses the vast docks and is among the busiest ports in the world due to its strategic trade position. The city, effectively, controls all trade flowing into the Sea of Forr and out into the Kadoric Ocean.

"The City That Never Sleeps", among many nicknames, has been given to Senzovona. It's immense population ensures that any time of day has something happening. From the hustle and bustle of the daytime hours as commuters go to and from work and the tourists explore to the bars, nightclubs, and entertainment of the city's night, there is no moment where the city is ever still. Crime, like most major cities, is generally more commonly found in certain neighborhoods over others, but is overall low for a city of Senzovona's size.

Spared from a series of laws passed by Parliament in the late 1970s, Senzovona has a degree of autonomy. The city is the most liberal and progressive city in the Kingdom as a result as the minorities repressed elsewhere are welcomed and given a voice. The Mayor of Senzovona, due to the lack of anti-canine laws within the city, is a wolf hailing from a poor Espican family. The Governor of the Senzovona Province is human, but it is an elected position and he is widely respected for the firm stance he takes against slavery while most other governors will go long with it to gain royal approval.

Senzovona is a military city, however. Much of the recruiting done by the Royal Army is done in Senzovona as it entices the less well off of the city into joining. The species barrier only exists in the military in restricting non-feline to enlisted ranks. While there are canine and human officers, the vast majority of the officer corps across the Army, Air Force, and Navy is feline. Most of Senzovona's working and middle class are ex-military and most of the ex-military used to serve in the Army. Officially, Senzovona is the home of the Remnoran Royal Navy, and the large naval yards can support the entirety of the fleet at any given time. Due to its importance, Senzovona is a city to be defended at all costs, and its naval garrison is proof of that.

Managing the utilities of such a large city is a monumental task. Because of that Senzovona is the test bed for many technologies that would ease the management of these megacities. Senzovona was the first city to harness fusion power to provide for the growing needs of the populace. With the rise of the information era and the expansion of electronics, the need for such power generation was only increased, and Senzovona has been able to accomodate. To handle water, the city draws in from the ocean and runs the water through large desalination plants and pumps the water into the city for use. After use of the water, it passes through filtration systems that remove most contaminants and flows back into the ocean. Garbage collection and disposal remains a major issue for the city as the recycling centers and landfills can only handle so much, but much of the garbage is shipped out of the province into landfills elsewhere in the Kingdom.

Overall, the city is the epitome of technological advancement in Remnora and it looks it. Skyscrapers for businesses and residences fill the skyline with common heights ranging from a few hundred feet to as high as 2,000 feet. There are notable exceptions to this, as the tallest building in Remnora and one of the tallest in the world is the Crystal Spire, a 3,400 foot multipurpose building. Offices, apartments, condominiums, and even a skyhotel make up the immense tower. It got its name from the mostly glass exterior that shines in the sunlight.

As the financial capital of Remnora, a cultural mecca for the world, and a center of progressive thought for the Kingdom, Senzovona is one of the most important cities and is considered by many to be the true heart of Remnora, while Espica is the brain. The metaphor had been further expanded on in recent years as it was shown that Senzovona couldn't survive without the Kingdom, and the Kingdom couldn't survive without Senzovona.

DarkShadowFox

Post by DarkShadowFox » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Can someone put me on an island .-. Plz

with snow .-.

Tinis
Board Admin
Board Admin
Species: Pargalonian Dragon

Post by Tinis » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Remember:
1. No Numenors/Mordors - Aka, avoid having nations that are super isolated, either by water (Numenor) or impassible mountains (Mordor).
I should have some time this week to update the map a bit with Remnora and DSF if possible. But I will need more than an island request though.
"We stand for justice, democracy, and a brighter future. Make sure you are unjust, fascist, and nihilistic before deciding you hate us." - Former First Speaker Izixs

DarkShadowFox

Post by DarkShadowFox » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 am

I actually dont know where to put myself besides in a snowy area on land and will go update my fact book lore with some sort of exodus

Killer Zoids
Species: homovulpes vulpes

Post by Killer Zoids » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm

If you're positioned far north and the climate there isn't to your liking, you can always modify it within reason.

North of Zerdaland or where Pargalo is (the region Pargalo can be taken over since they are no longer present)

DarkShadowFox

Post by DarkShadowFox » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:12 am

Killer Zoids wrote:If you're positioned far north and the climate there isn't to your liking, you can always modify it within reason.

North of Zerdaland or where Pargalo is (the region Pargalo can be taken over since they are no longer present)
I'll take pargalo and the whole area to that off hang thing.

Killer Zoids
Species: homovulpes vulpes

Post by Killer Zoids » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:42 am

You know, we'll have to check with Izixs now that I look at the map again. I think I might have misinterpreted it. Pargalo might be someone's NPC.

DarkShadowFox

Post by DarkShadowFox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 am

Nuuuu :V whai you do dis.