Emperor Interrupted

Spaceships and lasers and aliens oh my!
miokalia
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Species: Mechanical T-Rex

Re: Emperor Interrupted

Post by miokalia » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:22 pm

"Well this is rather... encromulescently dandy", said the goat after noticing it was just them and the Sifisian ship by the worm hole.

"Checking Sifisian ship for life signs, analyzing for cohesion", Knowledge said.

"Oh", Allison said in a smitten tone, "Your ship's Knowledge Master is so nice! She's scanning the vessel to see if they need assistance!"

"Well", the goat said, producing suspenders with which to grab out of nowhere, "This is the IAS Absolution, it is, after all, an ambassador ship with a history of humanitarian and diplomatic missions behind it's name.
We're like the USS Enterprise in Star Trek.

Except better armed and pressurized with sulphur hexaflouride instead of air.

Ok. Actually its for safety reasons. It's a protocol.
Has to do with the way their drives work."

"I prefer the explanation where Knowledge is just being nice and caring", said Allison.

"You know how when we look out the window while on holostrand, space is basically a bunch of cardboard cut-outs and is rather colorful. The biggest danger being forgetting that the adorable flattened objects are actually *real*?", explained the Goat,

"Well, that's because there are different layers to holostrand translation. Nachtan-style translation is Broad-Endian. "Sifus' Gift" however, is Narrow-Endian.
The difference being, if you were to visualize our two ships being the same size in real space, traveling at the same time starting and ending at the same destinations, their ship could be 600 times more dense and 600 times smaller. To further the 3-d analogy: "Sifus' Gift"-style drive allows them to fly at a lower altitude, able to very precisely navigate around transdimensional objects. I suppose, there may someday be a use for that, but as of yet, it really seems like a system designed to cause vexation. Nachtan-style drive can't "fly that low", or else we would hit transdimensional objects and it would cause damage to the ship, as well as whatever it is we hit. Therefore it's safest to maintain an extremely high "altitude"."

"So you're saying their drive sucks?", she asked.

"I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone.", He said, "While I admire the resolve and bravery of those captains, in sort of a romantic high-seas way, I also wonder what kind of total madman built it like that, since it seems that they purposefully, even elegantly engineered it to be as unpleasant as possible.

And yes, I've ridden on it. Briefly."

"Was it bumpy?", Allison asked.

"No, it was 6 months long.

Picture, if you will, an ant on a concrete slab which is 1000 miles square. Dotting the surface of this slab are a handful of incomprehensible objects, some of which move around.
You are this ant, and you have to get to the other side of the slab which contains absolutely no reliable indicators of direction. In addition, the surface is perfectly frictive, you cannot 'roll' or 'slide' along it, it also does not retain any kind of foot print. You have no idea where on this surface you were 2 minutes ago.
The surface is detailed, but you cannot use it to track your direction or rate of movement because it is a surface of inaccessible complexity.
It is practice among the pilots of these vessels to never look down at the surface for more than a few minutes, because it is so disorienting that they see things in the surface.
My observation has been that when you look into the surface, the surface looks into you. It takes things from the darkest places and manifests them.
If the whole ship takes a good hard stare at the "ground", then by the time they exit translation, they're either all dead or completely bat-crackers insane."

"Well, surely this is mostly tall tales", she said.

"I saw it happen", he said, "I saw a pilot stare down the surface, then he melted through the hull. Using his mind."

"Oh my", she said while pulling out a victorian-style fan.

"We should invite their captain over for a spot of fine dining.", said the Goat, "Since you have already dressed up for the occasion"

"Oh", Allison swooned, "Oh yes. That would be extraordinarily lovely."

"It will give me a reason to wear clothes", said the Goat.

"Yes, yes it rather indeed would", she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Vashmiro Praetor'Koukiproshehf Aatuylvi Mishka Sihda of the Sifisian Stratocracy of the Koukiproshehf Aatuylvi

While we're waiting for the ASE fleet to arrive, I would like to indeededly invite you to a fine Victorian dinner aboard the IAS Absolution. A Goat spoke fairly loftily of you upon your arrival and I wish to partake in a range of moments in your company wherein perhaps by the evenings end we can become quite intimately familiar with one an other in an unmentionable fashion if it suits your fancy. (And no conundrum if it does not).

Please reply with haste.

stamped with a grease seal
Allison Cossilworthen the Chaste

Aatuylva
Species: House Folfdog

Post by Aatuylva » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm

To: Allison Cossilworthen the Chaste and A Goat
From: Vashmiro Praetor'Koukiproshehf Aatuylvi Mishka Sihda of the Sifisian Stratocracy of the Koukiproshehf Aatuylvi

What a splendid idea! I do regret, however, that I do not have any clothes from that particular period, as most do not fit me and it is oh so hard to find the proper tailors, but I will be dressed in my best. I assure you that my fancies are most suited to whatever hospitality you would deem fit to provide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're seriously going to go over there? But I heard they were icky and breathed smoke and ate rocks!"

"Sylvia, you eat rocks half the time."

"Oh right.."

Sihda checked his hat again as he, Sylvia, and Wiaru piled into his personal pinnace, a small, inter-system ship built for shuttling down to planets and transferring between commands. It was a spindle shape, the color of rust and coal.
It's maneuvering jets fired, slowing throwing it off of the side of its parent ship, allowing it to slowly coast to the IAS Absolution, the radiator strips shimmering with heat as tracking lasers from the mothership painted it in paranoia.

"This is Pinnace-0J17 Alpha calling IAS Absolution, requesting permission to dock."
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.—Robert A. Heinlein

The_ASE
Species: Arctic Wolf

Post by The_ASE » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Andromeda Wormhole
The ASF 1st Fleet dropped out of hyperspace and came to a temporary stop as the Controller, a "dumb" AI, set up their navigation path into the wormhole and changed the paths of the traders and other ships exiting and entering. From aboard the Galleon, Luca was already plotting her course to Haroma. After arriving in Andromeda, she'll take the jump gate to Narcissum, then straight on to Haroma. There's no systems between Narcissum and Haroma, yet, with gates. Should be another 10 to 12 hours of hyperspace flight after the day or two through the wormhole.

Luca, seeing the Sifisians and Immanence vessels, said over comms, "This is Grand Matriarch Rio to Immanence and Sifisian ships. We're going to prepare for Andromeda jump in the next hour. Be ready to depart. If any of you arrive before us, wait for the 1st Fleet to arrive then we continue to Narcissum System, then to Haroma. I expect total flight time to be from two and a half to four more days.

"If any of you wish to board the Galleon and accompany me personally through the wormhole, then please do so now. I feel that it would be appropriate to do so, since we are all feeling a loss and being able to have a private remembrance would be a good thing before public observances."

miokalia
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by miokalia » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

(just wrapping things up. This part occurs about 8 hours before the ASE fleet shows up)

"This is traffic control, IAS Absolution. Please manoeuver to the ventral of the ship. Docking will be at Bay 10.", came the response in a pilot-like tone.

Supplemental life support came online, changing most of the compartments of the ship to a 50% SF6, 20% O2, 30% N2 mixture. Allison normally would have to scrub-out her insides with a most vile concoction on a smaller ship to comply with the safety protocol, but this ship was big enough, and had large enough Maxwell Troughs for atmosphere management, that she didn't need to.

The Goat loaded one of the Ballrooms with a "Victorian Dining Hall" program, and a number of other officers were assigned to procure a spread for the table.

It was a common misconception that "manufactured food" aboard Immanence ships tasted bland or terrible. It was actually spot-on for flavor, however, it was usually texture where the synthetic food was lacking.
Cheese that feels like rubber and doesn't melt at a low enough temperature, bread which turns back into dough if left out too long, Whole turkeys where the skeleton is inaccurate and appears to have been simply "coated" in a hefty layer of somewhat homogenous "textured protein".
Ice cream which seperates over time. Whole milk which if left in the glass too long compresses itself into butter.
Pancakes rendered lighter than air.
Food was a very surreal activity.

One of the officers spent extra time on the Turkeys. Paying close artistic attention to the places that should have dark meat and light meat while rendering it.

Meanwhile in sharp contrast, The pool boy Rohar, probably the only other Gomi aboard the ship, pulled a 30 pound log of beef out of the extruder and heaped it on the table.

Aatuylva

Post by Aatuylva » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 pm

"Now Sylvia, remember, behave or you'll ride on the outside of the ship."

"I'm not twelve you know..."

"Why am I here..."

"Because I ordered you to be here, Wiaru. You needed to get out."

The three continued bickering, even as they entered the vast dining room, quieting upon seeing the table and it's wares.
Sihda, in his almost nine foot tall form, was horribly out of place, the bright violet of his suit and tricorn hat loud, garish, and, for all intents and purposes, better off on a pimp than any normal person. The large array of medals, awards, rings, combined with the polished metal underneath his suit, betraying the exo-armor that he could no longer live without, did not help matters at all. Sylvia wore a backless black dress, but had not changed her physical form, delighting in being closer to her 'true' self than she had been for ages. Wiaru was in a modest robe, covering her entire form, and she was quite glad that the ship's dimensions allowed for creatures of her size.

"I must say that you Immanence types do know how to throw a party, if the food is a bit...exotic for my tastes at times...splendid recreations, for the most part, and the turkey was quite splendid."

"Before or after the bone began turning into gelatin?"

"Hush Wiaru. I must say this is a rather pleasant surprise, as I haven't had any interactions with your people, or the former Miokalians in Sol, for a very long time. Are they still doing alright? Last news I ever got before we moved out-system was something about a party."
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.—Robert A. Heinlein

miokalia
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by miokalia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:56 pm

"They're doing quite better.", said Allison, "Considering what happened to them, they really are a case study of the certain things which have often been glossed-over in science fiction. I'm just glad that we were able to identify the meaning of the Glitter Revolution before it actually turned into a long, drawn-out "post-Miokalian Spring". I think it was a complete success."

Much more stoicly, the Goat said, "Administrative adjustments were made and cake was served."

Allison sort of tried to creak a smile in response to The Furnisher's dislike for discussing the matter.
Still, she did sometime take delight in irritating him so.

"I suppose I should introduce you to Nathan Allen. He doesn't like being introduced.", she said.

The Goat put down his silverware and glared at Allison for a minute. Then said, "Yes. Well. I don't."

Then he dropped his plate down a disposal chute in the middle of the table and said, "I think it's time for desert."

A Coronan awkwardly wearing a tall chef's hat walked out briskly and placed a platter of pancakes on the table, followed a number of glass decanters of sugar-derivatives. He stepped back and then very intently stared at the pancakes nervously.
Hoping that the natural anaerobic microbes required to make them have the correct texture wouldn't over-act.

With each pancake taken off the platter, he became more tense. Pancakes were an extremely difficult thing to make on a ship like this, and if he did it right, then he could rejoice with other Artistic Organic Sustainance Enthusiasts at having achieved normal pancakes in a low-oxygen environment.

Had he a breath, he would have held it.

Aatuylva

Post by Aatuylva » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:39 pm

"Well it's good to hear that they turned out alright. I had friends that lived on the planet, a long time ago...well, acquaintances..."

"You mean people you read about in the newspaper?"

"Hush Sylvia. Oh! Pancakes! I haven't had a proper pancake in half a century. Never the time, you know. Always being shuttled about, fixing this, killing that, or, gods' forbid, the bastards back home need a referee for their civil wars again. What's it like for you lot? From what I hear it's rather...peaceful on your side of the galaxy, as they say."

Sylvia tuned out the rest of the conversation, having discovered something she never knew she loved.
Syrup.
Syrup, molasses, sugar sugar everywhere, it was supposed to go on the pancakes, which were light and fluffy, but she got tired of chewing and ended up grabbing several decanters of the sugary stuff, her tongue snaking out to the bottom of the containers in order to drag in as much of it into her mouth as possible in as short a time as possible.
Sihda and Wiaru ignored her, even after she went through ten of them.

OmygodIlovesugarsugarsugarsugar-

She had, by this point, fallen out of her chair, a pile of pancakes falling onto her face.

"OMIGAWhajushappened?!"

The pancakes clearly attacked her. This meant war.
Her tail flicking behind her, Sylvia pounced upon the table and began clawing at and ripping into all of the pancakes that had the misfortune to be on her side of the table. Pancake pieces, syrup, and fur flew everywhere as she growled and pounced on plates of towering pancakes, with butter hitting Sihda on the face before he signaled to Wiaru.
As the fleshling was rolling around in her 'kills', syrup and pancake adhering to her fur everywhere, the large revwhoin stood up and undid her cloak. In one swift motion, she threw the writhing creature into the cloak, and began to wrap the cloak into a bag, tying a knot in it.
Having done so, she puts the bag gently on the floor and sits back down.

"...dreadfully sorry. She's prototype of her kind, you know. So many bugs and so little time to find them all. Looks like I'll have to mark 'sugar' down as one of the things she cannot have without supervision, and pass that along to the slumber-pod technicians. I do hope she hasn't caused too much trouble?"

miokalia
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by miokalia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The chef quietly stormed out of the room, throwing his hat at Rohar, the Pool Boy. The short exchange between them was quiet and sounded like a couple of dial-up modems.

"They didn't float until the end. You should be proud.", the Poolboy Rohar said.

"Failure. Failure and a syrup-drenched lunatic mammal. Abort. Fail. Fail.", he emoted then sulked away to the kitchen.

Nathan Allen found this somewhat amusing and said to the guests,
"Don't worry about him. They're sensitive. A species descended from creatures which were originally constructed to kill things, but yet so sensitive."

"Mister Allen", Allison said, "It's a bit unnecessary to go into such details with the present company".
What started out as a polite and light-hearted diversionary response ended with her glaring at the Goat.

Nathan continued to address Sihda's question,
"I suppose it is rather peaceful by some measures. Probably the closest we've been to a civil war any time recently was that "Glitter Revolution". Which appeared to be more of an impromptu public festival to the outside observer.
Internally, it was a collective cry for help, or whimper, issued from Post-Miokalia's Biozoid population.

There were a lot of ramifications of integrating them, regardless of how noble it was to save them, which we did not entirely understand. When you take a creature out of one reality and place them into a different one, there are consequences.
They were terrified, huddled clusters of confused critters who barely, loosely held onto a will to live in a joyless existence despite us surrounding them with cheerful things. An epidemic of anhedonia which was only abated by a confluence of completely random, yet wonderful events aboard the Intermat Hokyldaryon station.
Set into motion, I should add, by one of your ships setting up a bazaar at Promenade G.

Following the "Glitter Revolution", I brought their Tajir-Secretary Tycho Nadara into my inner circle and set into motion a comprehensive plan to try to restore certain aspects of normalcy to their lives. Which was extremely difficult because I've never actually been an organic dinosaur so I actually have no freaking idea what makes them tick. Which was kinda the problem to begin with.

But I digress.
We have different problems. The net-effect is that it's more peaceful and I do admit, it is.
But that's because of the nature of these people. Gomi are robots and were basically controlled by a central intelligence which resulted in harmonious behavior. Coronans are robots and got traumatized into peace because they spent hundreds of years being slaves to programming which told them to kill things and eachother indescriminantly. And when you absorb a species, you also absorb the way they think. So cooperation is not something particularly hard to come by here.
The problem is keeping these people from becoming too collective. Because what follows is they become a rather dumb, lock-step totalitarian apparat which teeters on non-sentience.
I have to, from time to time, remind them that what separates them from lawn mowers or refridgerators is the fact that they are intelligent enough to differentiate themselves from their surroundings and eachother.
I don't give them a choice in the matter. The Nachtan did not uplift them just to have some dumb metal pets sitting around."

He paused a moment and decided to amend what he said before Allison would kick him.

"That came out a little weird.
There is, or course, some social issues and tension here. It's just extremely hard to describe.
Left to our own devices, Nachtan would devour eachother mindlessly. We struggled with our nature which directed us towards Feudalism. Where the lords would gain power through psychically colonizing others. A handful of cantankerous royalty ruling over literally oceans of serfs.
Absorbing machine thought into our own culture is exactly what we needed to break that chain.

So I guess what I'm saying is we've all got our demons.
And maybe I'm just lucky.

I don't think I would be able to handle what you do."

Allison then interjected,
"Nathan Allen is like a floodgate. Nothing comes out until the water gets high enough and then suddenly: FWOOSH.

Oh, we have a couple more dignitaries.", she then waved down a coronan that just entered the room and his assistant.

"This is Singleton Pratzam. He was one of the first of us to meet the Late Emperor. And it looks like he brought someone from Earth.", she said.

Singleton Pratzam looked at Allison's preposterous, over-adorned outfit up and down and said, "What the..."

His assistant, a Malych RM028 (Liger), stared at Sihda. She tried a couple times to break the stare and look at something else. Anything else. But it kept coming back.

Allison had an idea of the reason behind it, and made a throat-clearing noise towards Pratzam, who then dismissed the Liger by pushing her out of the room.

"I forgot", Pratzam said out loud, then to the guests, "Hi"

"Don't mind the cat", Allison said to Sihda, "She's kind-of young for the position and doesn't quite know certain manners."

Aatuylva

Post by Aatuylva » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 pm

"It is quite an honor! And don't worry, I'm alright. I know how younglings are."

He stood up, brushing stray pancake off of his suit.

"I do, however, have a suggestion for lightening the mood. Do you have any record players? Or a band? A proper Victorian dinner should have a proper ballroom waltz! Yes! Dancing! We shall be dancing, come on, everyone, up up up!"

He walked, quite purposefully, towards Allison, hat in hand.

"My fair lady, would you care to dance with this old rapscallion?"

miokalia
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by miokalia » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Time passes, and the ships arrive in Andromeda